Sunday, December 28, 2008

Get Lucky


If you know me, you know that I am NOT superstitious! In fact, every year when I try and convince my picky eaters to swallow at least ONE black eyed pea for "good luck", I am quickly reminded that we don't believe in luck. Although this is true, I can't help but keep this southern tradition going...blessings or luck...bring it on! Happy New Year!

TEXAS CAVIAR
2 cans of drained and rinsed black-eyed peas
1 can of drained and rinsed sweet corn
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/8 cup red wine vinegar

1 tbsp. lime juice
1/4 small red onion, minced

1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
1 small clove of garlic, minced

2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
Salt and black pepper

Whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar and lime juice well. Add minced garlic and salt & pepper. Pour over peas and corn. Add red onion, jalapeno and cilantro and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with tortilla chips!

No comments: